Monday 21 March 2011

Winter Comp Season Begins

After a long break, the winter competition season is starting again and the first at Rock Over Manchester on Saturday was a success. With a large turnout including the British Bouldering Team it was sure to be a good comp.

Qualification consisted of many interesting problems including a swinging ball, which apart from the occasional easy problem were all quite hard. I was however pleasantly surprised when I saw Dave Barrans from the British Team fall of a problem that I flashed.

I didn’t make the cut for the final, not that I was expecting to as it is my first year moving into the adult category. However I did manage to just make it into the 7th-12th place playoffs, coming 12th in qualification, which I think was quite good considering I was the youngest to make it in by 4 years.

The playoff was a new thing to me, as I think it was to most of the other climbers. There was one long problem and we had a minute to view it. Scoring was done on who completed it, or if more than one person completed it, it was done on the time it took to complete it. Seen as no one completed the problem, the person who got furthest won.

I didn’t stay to watch the final but Dave Barrans Ended up winning. All in all it was a pretty good day, and I’m looking forward to all the other comps coming up over the winter. 
This picture shows me attempting the playoff problem.

No comments:

Post a Comment